Sunday, November 11, 2007

Family sickness

Me and Kayla at the hospital. If you look closely at her arm, she had an IV in and an arm board on to keep it straight. She was a good trooper. She didn't cry very much and was really content the whole night. We were so sleepy, but very concerned.


So, here's the story of this weekend. Friday evening, I went out with some friends for dinner and shopping. As soon as I left Kayla threw up her formula she was eating. After about 2 hours, Chad calls me and tells me that she has been throwing up all evening to the point of dry heaving and throwing up bile. I called the "after-hours clinic" and they told me that if she was coughing to the point of waking herself up, then go to the ER. Well, when I came home at about 8:30, she still was throwing up, so off we went to the ER at Washington Regoinal. The doc took a while to see us and mean while Kayla was sleeping, but when he did, he found that she has an ear infection and a stomach bug. He wanted to just feed her Pedialyte and see if she held that down. Well, we feed her 2 oz and she threw it up about a minute after. So, then it was time for the IV. It was a challenge for the nurses to get the IV started in her little veins, but they finally did about 12:30 PM and it had to run for about 2 hours. So, we were in for the long haul. I slept off and on with Kayla in my arms in between doctors, lab techs, and nurses coming in. After the IV was finished, they gave her an antibiotic for the ear infection through the IV and we fed her 4 oz of Pedialyte slowly and she kept it down. We finally left the hospital about 5:00AM and got about 3 hours of sleep when we came home.
This weekend we've stayed home to take care of Kayla. Its been nice for the family to have alot of together time. We only fed her Pedialyte yesterday and she kept that down pretty good. Today we've been feeding her half strength formula and she threw up one of the feedings. We've also had to give her medicine for the ear infections which is horrible to watch, b/c we have to force it down her and make her not spit it out. Its been a trying weekend and she's still not 100%. Chad's not been feeling good and I vomited by supper. We're just all sharing the virus. Its easier for us to get over though and we can take medicine for it. I'm staying home with Kayla tomorrow so we'll see what happens. I just want her to stay well. I'm tired of these silly viruses.

No comments: